What is IPTV?
The question is what is IPTV. The answer is IPTV is the short form of Internet Protocol Television where TV over IP is called IPTV.
(Live content over IP)
IPTV always provides traditional TV services like live channels to your home through the ISP (Internet Service Provider) Network.
Just for your understanding purposes, it can be said that It can be understood by assuming that a traditional TV is with ISP and you are getting the feed of this TV over your internet connection whenever you want.
Actually, I’ve used the above assumption for making you more understand the basic idea of IPTV. So be sure that in reality, the whole process is different. For providing IPTV services, the operator receives the linear or live content (The Channels) from content providers (For example HBO, Discovery, National Geographic and etc.) through various methods. Maybe the methods are satellite downlinking, teleport, or over IP. Then process the content (encoding or transcoding, compression, encryption). Then multicast it within the network.
What is VoD?
VoD is the short form of Video on Demand where the video is being played over IP.
(Offline or Stored content over IP)
VoD is providing the stored content over IP for example movies, series, music and etc.
Just for your understanding purposes, it can be said that It can be understood by assuming that your desired CD or DVD players are with ISP and you are getting the feed of this CD or DVD on your internet connection whenever you would like it because the whole list of flicks is available to observe anytime.
Previously like IPTV, I’ve used the above assumption for making you understand the basic idea of VoD.
So, you can say that in actual the whole process is different. For providing VoD services, the operator receives the Video content like Movies, Series, Musics and etc. from content providers. It can be from Warne Bros. Through various channels may be satellite downlinking, teleport, or over IP, process it encoding or transcoding, compression, encryption. Then stores and after that stream it within the network on your demand.
You May Also Like: What are the differences between IPTV and OTT (2021)
- Type of content – IPTV is always live content (eg: live football match) but VoD is stored content (any movie as example Titanic).
- Backend for providing these service – The setup vary as the type of content and the actual mode of delivery is different.
- Mode of delivery – IPTV is always multicasting (one to many) and VoD is unicasting (one to one).
- Bandwidth Utilization – IPTV is utilizing the bandwidth in a better way but the purpose of both these services is totally different.
- User Experience – IPTV is real-time content, and it means to mention that it’s live. You can’t move forward with it (I’m using only forward as there are various features available to pause any channel, rewind it, or catch up) but in the case of VoD, you have all the access to use PVR functions.
Hope your confusion is finished about the differences between IPTV and VoD. For more differences like this visit IPTVSetupGuide.